Monday, April 4, 2016

Tse'Bit'Ai: The Arrival of the Clans


"Tse'Bit'Ai: The Arrival of the Clans"
Acrylic Paint and Colored Pencil
16 X 20 Mixed Media Paper
Copyright 2016 Erik Stitt
Original For Sale: $1000 - email me for inquiries
Prints and Posters available at my Print Store

This painting represents one of my most favorite places on Earth and all of the mysticism associated with it. We see Tse'Bit'Ai, the Rock With Wings according to the Dineh (Navajo) or as the rest of the world knows it, Shiprock. It lies near the Four Corners area of New Mexico near the town of the same name on the Navajo Reservation. We are looking at the Creator Spirit, Talking God being flanked by First Man and First Woman and two Y'ei Spirits as they lead Tse'Bit'Ai to it's final resting place on the Northeastern portion of Dinetah (Navajoland) or Dinebikeyah. According to Navajo metaphysics, the first Clans of "The People" arrived on this mighty rock onto their now sacred lands and from there were taught and practiced The Beauty Way so that they could live in balance and harmony with creation and to adapt and endure whatever came their way; to live in Hozho...

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, when my mother, still living, was making the pages of American Artist and Southwest Art magazines with her own art, I would peruse those pages with reckless abandon as soon as a new issue arrived. I wasn't necessarily excited about seeing my mom's art in them but instead was fascinated by the artwork of then top Navajo Painters such as Tony Abeyta, David K. John and Baje Whitethorn, Sr.. Their work was mesmerizing to me as it always had an ethereal and mystical quality to it where things didn't quite look 100% physical or tangible were it standing before me. Later, when I lived near the Rez in the Flagstaff area of Arizona, I would spelunk the galleries of Flagstaff and Sedona and actually get to see the paintings of these Fine Indigenous Artists in person and let me tell you, I was just gobsmacked at how beautiful and vibrant they were! So this piece is a tribute and salute to all of that in the form of appreciation, respect and just plain admiration of the beauty and mystery I witnessed. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did creating it.

Walk In Beauty,
Erik


patreon.com/erikstitt


No comments:

Post a Comment